By Rick Goldstein, co-owner of MOSAIC Group [Architects and Remodelers]
Here are some reasons why you’ll want to hire a professional to construct your new deck.
- The building codes for decks have become much more complicated due to the abundance of deck collapses during the last few years.
- Attachment techniques need to be carefully followed and scrutinized to be sure the deck structure is safe.
- Constructing a new deck requires a building permit.
- There are new products available each and every year. A professional will have experience with these products where the do-it-yourselfer may not.
- A professional will bring years of experience, knowledge and design talents to create a safe, practical and beautiful addition to one’s home.
What could go wrong if you take the DIY approach?
- Your deck may not meet current building code safety requirements and could therefore pose a safety hazard.
- If no permit is procured, a building official could require the deck to be removed.
- A homeowner could accidentally build past the regulated zoning building setback lines, opening the potential to have to undo what has been constructed.
- Without proper knowledge, the incorrect fasteners could be used. These fasteners may rust, creating a future safety hazard.
Click here to see photos of decks we’ve designed and completed.
Rick Goldstein is a registered Architect who has both hands-on experience building decks as well as designing and detailing decks to meet code requirements.