A colder than average winter may be on the horizon for portions of the Southwest, Southern Plains, Southeast and East Coast, according to a December 2015-February 2016 temperature outlook released by The Weather Channel.
What steps can you take to ensure your home stays warm?
- Caulk all openings around doors and windows
- Install switch plate gaskets
- Install a flap that closes over dryer vents
- Add more insulation in the attic
- Insulate the floor above the crawl space
- Ensure the fireplace damper is closed to prevent unwanted airflow
- Add weather stripping to doors
- Seal openings around drain pipes in bathrooms and kitchen
- Keep drapes and blinds closed except when windows are in direct sunlight
- Install storm windows and doors
- Cover any window air conditioner
- Run ceiling fans on low in reverse (clockwise when looking up) to circulate warm air
- Put draft snakes (sometimes called draft dodgers) on window sills and against doors